Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Architecture Adventure

Last summer, Chartiers Valley senior Kelly Ryan was planning to major in architecture.

Her interest in architecture developed from the Computer Aided Drafting class she took at Chartiers Valley High School. So when the opportunity to attend a summer architecture camp at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte arose, she decided it would be a great way to learn more before committing to a college major.

After attending the camp, Kelly realized a majoring in architecture may not be the best fit for her.

“I took an architecture class [at CVHS] last year and that turned out to be more fun than the actual college camp,” explained Kelly. “To be honest, I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would.”

Although she’s no longer considering architecture as a possible major, Kelly still found value in attending the camp.

“I don’t see attending the camp as a waste of time,” she said. “It really helped me find out I didn’t want to pursue architecture, so I won’t waste a year or two of tuition studying something I’m not going to follow through on.”

Kelly added that there were even a few other benefits to attending the camp in Charlotte.

“We had fun outside of the classroom and I did take the opportunity to visit other schools while I was there.”

Kelly would still recommend the camp to other students who are interested in architecture. She believes it could confirm an interest in architecture for some students, while helping others discover it may not be the career field for them. Either way, camp attendees can benefit from the experience.

This year, Kelly is enrolled in AP Computer Science and considering that as a possible college major. She appreciates having the opportunity to take so many different courses at Chartiers Valley to get a better feel for what she may like to do after high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment